Thursday 27 September 2012

I decided to write this blog of my experience of having webbed toe surgery as there seems to be very little out there of people actually detailing how it went, how it felt or if it was worth it to them. So here's my story and some info that may help you decide if it's right for you:



Pre-op:

A little about me: I'm a 22 year old female who for as long as I can remember wanted surgery on my feet to have what society calls 'normal' toes. My mum even told me a story about my 3 year old self asking her if she could cut my toes with a pair of scissors. She now looks back on it as a sign that maybe she should have taken me to have the surgery when I was younger. My webbed toes were on my 2nd and 3rd toes of each foot up to just below the nail bed.

I have always hidden my feet. I know some people enjoy the fact they are unique, but for me, I just wanted to be like everyone else. I love swimming but don't really go often, and if I do, I put plasters over my feet. On one holiday I went on (as an adult) and a man asked what I had done. I lied saying my shoes rubbed and left blisters so I kept plasters on. I love summer but always fretted about it. I felt like I wanted to be in closed shoes so I could wear socks in case I went to someones house and had to take my shoes off. Even during university I managed to keep everyone unaware. I am not the only one in my family to have this, but only my granddad has it as far up as me, everyone else's is barely noticeable.

So, I went to my doctor and one of the first questions she asked me was 'why have you waited so long?'; incidentally even the consultant asked that too...I guess because I've always been embarrassed of my feet and don't like showing them to people, I had to work up the courage. I thought at this point in my life, if I didn't do it now, I would be forever fretting, avoiding situations I wanted to be in but worried about and maybe even avoiding holidays. Some people may not get it, but surgery was important for me, I wanted a life. I have had teasing about it but no really out right bullying. I wanted the surgery for me to feel more confident in myself.

So the doctor referred me to a consultant. I was lucky enough that my surgery would be covered and done in a private hospital. My consultant, after looking at x-rays which showed me to have simple syndactyly (toes are joined by soft tissue only), said he would happily do my op. I opted to have both feet done at once and was told recovery time would be at least 4 weeks.


Operation:

As far as I know, the operation entailed splitting the toes and putting on a full thickness graft which was taken from just below my ankle. Different surgeons take them from different places, but for more info, I found a good website that explains this type of procedure http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/surgery/repair-of-webbed-fingers-or-toes/overview.html. The stitches I have are also all dissolvable so no having to have them pulled out!

The operation went well. I think I walked down to the theater around 4.30pm and I was back in my room before 7pm (including the putting me to sleep, op, and waking me up in that time). It was a bit of a rough night that night after the anaesthetic but that's nothing to do with the actuall op; being woken up to check my blood pressure every now and again probably did help either. My feet didn't hurt all that badly during the night, but then the anaesthetist did say he may put local anaesthetic into my feet to keep the pain down, so it may have been that. This is what they looked like when I awoke:


The physio had told me how to use crutches but they needed to make sure I could walk before they would discharge me (its an outpatient operation with a one night stay). My first attempt at walking was terrible. It hurt like hell and they had to put me back in the bed. Apparently I went extremely pale and I really did not feel good. They gave me some stronger painkillers (until then I had just been on paracetamol) and after 4 hours of needing the bathroom, I managed to get up and walk there (physio present and the bathroom was in my room). I also had to walk up and down stairs so they were confident I could manage. They will also only discharge you if you have someone at home. I had my aunt and uncle over the weekend (op was on a fri) and I just stayed upstairs pretty much with my feet elevated on two pillows. You are told only to get up for the bathroom the first few days. Then my lovely boyfriend came to look after me for a week and took me to my first appointment to take the bandages off.

Attractive shoes to help with walking:



Post op:

Washing was a bit tricky. I put plastic bags over my feet and sellotaped a seal around them to stop water getting in as I was told not to get the bandages wet at all. I took my stronger painkillers and paracetamol alternately for the first few days after the op, then just down to paracetamol and about 6 days post op, I only took paracetamol if I really needed it. The pain subsided pretty fast and now I can barely remember what it was like so it can't have been that bad! The bandages came off two weeks after the op. The consultant said the graft had taken well and these are the pics I took while there:

Right:



Left:



A cotton adhesive pad was put over the ankles and a Vaseline covered gauze was put between the toes. I was told I could wash my feet and was given more gauze to replace after this. However, I did become worried about them (on the Friday I didn't really see what the graft looked like so after I washed them, they looked weird and I was worried about infection) so I called and they gave me an appointment to see them on the Monday. They said all was fine, changed the guaze again and told me to buy some to change every other day. A week after the bandages were taken off, this is what they look like with guaze:

Left:



Right:


I'm most impressed at my left ankle where the graft was taken. It looks almost healed! I asked if I could possibly drive to my next appointment (2 weeks after the bandages were taken off) and they said I could, so now I just need to get myself to the point of being able to. The best way to get things up and down the stairs is to carry a backpack and put things in there. I have also tried walking without the shoes and without crutches and it feels very weird. It feels like walking for the first time, really foreign. It's hard not to walk protectively of the toes which means walking strangely, I think I need to teach myself to walk properly again! The majority of the time my feet need to stay elevated but I'm much quicker at getting around places. As they have been up for the past 3 weeks, they seem to get a bit funny when they have been on the floor too long from all the blood rushing to them. The toes do swell a bit every now and again but it goes down. They do bleed a little still but its normal. Also due to them being elevated, my feet do get like ice blocks occasionally but something heated like a water bottle in the vicinity helps.

Anyway, that's as far as I am so far, I will update as I go through each hurdle and post more pics when i'm all healed. The consultant thinks I shouldn't really have any scars where the graft was taken from. I know one question I was looking for an answer to from people who had had the surgery; 'was it worth it?' Even now, for me, yes it is. I walked down the stairs in the shoes but no socks the other day and thought 'even if scars remain, the way they look now is so worth it'.

If you have any questions I haven't answered through this blog, then please feel free to ask.

23 comments:

  1. Hi, can you please give an update. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carly,

      Just to let you know I have done a further update with more pics if you are interested.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I havent checked my page for a long time so only just got your message i'm afraid! I did have an infection and had a few courses of antibiotics but it all cleared up. It's been a year since I had it done and despite the pain of the operation for a few weeks, I would have it done over and over again.
    They still arent quite 'normal'. One side it ever so slightly lower than the other, but looking from other peoples perspective looking at my feet (In a mirror) they look pretty normal. The scars are barely visible, and unless you stared at my feet (who really has a good long stare?!), you can barely tell. They were cut a far bit further down then they have healed to, but i'm happy. In fact i've been swimming multiple times without even thinking about my toes now! Were you thinking of having it done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have twin toes and it makes me have really low self confidence. I'm always trying to hide my feet. I'm always worried that no guy will like because of my feet. I really want to have the operation done but my parents said that we probably can't afford it, but my mom promised to take me to the podiatrist soon. Thanks for sharing your story, you gave me a lot of new information about the surgery.

      Delete
    2. Hi Julia,

      Sorry for the delay in reply. I agree with Ambeal87, if a guy can't get over it, they aren't worth it. But that is easy for me to say now I've had it done. My Fiance knows how they used to be but I never showed him them (we were together for 6 months prior to my surgery- he said he wasn't bothered anyway). All my previous boyfriends also knew, and none seemed fussed about it; in fact I think one called them 'cute'.
      Did you get to see a podiatrist in the end? Are there any questions you have? I've done an update post with up to date pics if you want to see the results 2 years on.

      Delete
  3. Hi Julia, I feel your pain as I was born with webbed toes on one foot. I was afraid to date b/c of it. I've been in 2 serious relationships and honestly if a guy can't look past your toes not being perfect then he isn't worth dating. I did however get the surgery this year b/c it has always bothered me. It really wasn't that bad of an experience. I was off my feet completely for about 3 weeks. I recommend going to a plastic surgeon that specializes in hand surgery. I did and the results are amazing! I'm finally wearing sandals this spring and am do happy!!! Totally worth the $2500 I spent on it. Just save for it if u can... I had to n/c my parents wouldn't pay for it either so I saved for a year and got it done. You can do it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, just wondering how long you were off your feet? Is 2 weeks off work enough time for someone who at work is on their feet a lot?
      Thanks

      Delete
    2. Hi Gidday,

      I obviously can't answer for Ambeal87, but in my experience 2 weeks off work for someone who works on their feet probably won't be enough. It looks like they were off their feet for 3 weeks. About 10 days after surgery I had a trip out to a shopping place which was a little stupid looking back. I couldn't get around and I only went to see people who had come down to where I was living. They hurt after only a short while, especially as they had been up for so long the days since the surgery. I certainly would say I would've only been possibly able to go to a sit down job about 4-6 weeks after my op, not a job on my feet.

      Delete
    3. Hi Ambeal87,

      Happy to hear about another success! Are you still enjoying your new found freedom? I love being able to wear sandals and flip flops, and being able to go swimming without thinking about it anymore.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ambeal87, I'm curious as to what state your surgery was performed in. I too, have twin toes and so does my 13 month old son. I'm 27, and have wanted the surgery as far back as I can remember. My son has an appt for surgery at Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN in aug. We have been told our insurance covers the procedure but it's not definite. Since costs are typically based on the area that you live, I'm praying, if insurance doesn't cover the cost, that it will be close you your $2500. Hopefully I will be able to receive surgery sometime this year as well. I HATE my feet and have always been embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi abcrow,

      Just wondering how your appointment with your son went? I've also thought that when I have kids, if they have twin toes too I would have them operated on young as it is meant to be much less of an ordeal. I live in the UK so it would be a different process but would like your thoughts on it.

      Did you also manage to find out about surgery for yourself?

      Delete
  5. Sorry for the late reply everyone! God day, you would need more than 2 weeks recovery time. I have a desk job and couldn't even walk on my foot for three weeks then had to get a boot in order to put weight on it. ButterflySpirit18, I am loving my freedom with being able to have my feet exposed and not feeling self conscious or ashamed!! I wear sandals and get pedicures now and am not embarrassed at all. I do have some minor scarring from the skin grafts but they aren't noticible unless you are really staring hard. I love being able to go to the pool and the lake without having to hide my feet! The surgery was such a good investment. Abcrow, I got my surgery done in Missouri and went to a very well known plastic surgeon, so he was probably charging top dollar. I hope you were able to find a surgeon in your area with reasonable pricing! Insurance didn't cover my surgery but I was able to use my health savings account to pay for it. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had my surgery about 11 days ago. I saw a plastic surgeon who used the zig zag method to cut and stitch the skin and a skin graft was taken from under the arch of my foot for the remaining gap. I Spent the first week with my feet elevated but can now pretty much walk without crutches, my feet are still bandaged and I have to wear strap on medical shoes! I will have bandages for about 3 weeks and will need at least 3 weeks off work. Realistically I don't think I will be about to drive until 4-5 weeks after the initial op. There is no infection and the graft has taken so fairly positive so far, I am experiencing slight numbness in one of my toes but they all look pink and healthy, still anxious to see the final outcome. I will update.

    Thought I'd share mine as there aren't many experience stories out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I'm a 30 yr old Male who has wanted my toes separated for as long as i can remember!

      I just had the operation on 4th July 2015. I had my two middle toes separated on both feet and i'm currently in my 3rd week of recovery. I have 4 more weeks to go till I restart work and I really hope they are healed well by then as I work as a PE teacher so i'm on my feet all day!!

      I was in a wheel chair for around 10 days for ease of getting about. After that I got about on my feet ok with bandages. After 2.5 weeks all bandages etc are off and it feels like i have taken 6 steps backwards as there is nothing protecting them while they still heal. so struggling to get about again now...

      How long do u think it will take me to be able to run and swim etc? Any advice would be great. My doctor said that by another 4 weeks I should be fine. What do u guys think?

      I've really enjoyed reading the comments, it gave me that extra bit of courage to have the surgery.

      PS - I had small blisters appear on my finger tip shortly after my operation - they are now turning brown. did anyone else experience this? My surgeon doesn't know what it could be. Possible side effect from the op/medication.

      Be grateful to any answers in regard to my queries or if anyone has any questions for me I would be happy to answer.

      Liam

      Delete
  7. Ambeal87 and Butterflyspirit18, I am so sorry for the late reply! I did finally have my surgeries! I did one on Halloween in 2014 and the other was done in December 2014. Insurance completely covered mine. My husband works for the railroad so our insurance is really awesome, thankfully. Dr Stephane Braun at Vanderbilt did my sons when he was one year old in Aug 2014 then he told me he could also do mine as well, so he did. My son stood up in his crib immediately after surgery and walked the very next day. He seemed to have no pain. My pain was incredibly minimaI. Ican't even remember hurting except for when I was almost healed and certain shoes, such as boots, did make them sore. I'm a nurse, so I removed my own stitches the first time and they actually used the ones that dissolve the second time. I also have some scarring from the skin grafts but I have never been more confident or happier in my life. And they used skin from my groin. They actually took skin from the exact same place the second time around so I have a very unnoticeable scar. it feels wonderful that I don't have to hide my feet any longer! I hope everyone is well and I hope anyone that is planning to have the surgery or surgeries, has a good run! Good luck everyone and thanks for all of your help! Again, I'm so sorry it took me so long to reply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. guys I have a blog about my surgery too if you want to check it:http://sophiasloan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone. I'm a 22 year old female and last month I got this same surgery on my left foot. This blog has been really helpful to me, so thank you all for sharing your experiences. Unfortunately, my surgery has had some complications and during the first week my doctor had to remove some stitches on the inside of the third toe. Because of this, that part of the toe is open and has to heal on its own, and fluid is coming out and moistening the entire area in between the toes. My doctor is nervous that this wetness is going to kill the flap of skin on the other toe, because the toes are constantly together and touching. Did any of you ever have any issues with wetness in between the toes? Or did your doctor have a way of airing out the area in between the toes to help the skin heal? Any comments on this would be really appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I had this operation 2 weeks ago and I also have this issue with moisture between the toes as one of my grafts failed. How did you get on?

      Delete
  10. Please can I get in touch with you via email. I would like to ask for some advice please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Thanks for the explanation above! I’m 31 and have webbed toes. I want to undergo surgery and would appreciate if I can get in touch with you to discuss some questions. Best Sussie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guys I need some advice too I live in Toronto and I had this toes and I want a surgery, your story are so inspiring and more common feeling we experience and thank for sharing πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guys I need some advice too I live in Toronto and I had this toes and I want a surgery, your story are so inspiring and more common feeling we experience and thank for sharing πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had my surger 3 weeks ago. I go in to get the stitches removed today. The first two days were really rough for me as far as pain goes. My 2 and 3rd toes are the ones that were webbed. I am 32 years old. The third toe has been pretty numb since the surgery but everything else seems to be okay. Did anyone else have some redness?

    ReplyDelete